Pages

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Billy Charles NY Meets Sande Charles !

The Beautiful and Talented Sande Charles!

Sande Charles ( no relation ) is a model, actress, and host who ultimately has  aspirations of becoming a sportscaster for ESPN . Sande has been involved in the entertainment industry as well as working  behind the scenes with and along side of  many of the best athletes and sport teams that America has to offer.Sande  Charles is a self proclaimed " Sports Nut " who feel most at home while on the field or at a local hang out watching the game and keeping score!  Below I had the opportunity to pick her brain and get to the bottom of what this athletic, sports driven, and smart  beauty is all about...meet Sande Charles!

BC: Where are you from and where did you grow up ? 
SC: I grew up in Glendale, AZ... Most people think when I say Glendale I mean Glendale, California, but NOPE. There is a Glendale, AZ ( both laugh) 


BC: Tell me about growing up and what your family is like...
SC: I grew up being the only girl of 5 boys. Our family is very driven and very diverse. So many different personalities. My brothers are fluent in sarcasm so that's probably where I picked up that trait. My dad is an attorney and a sports enthusiast. We were always going to every sporting event you could imagine. My mom was the best stay at home mom you could ever have. 
BC: Sounds amazing!
SC: It was for sure!

BC: What did you think you wanted to be when you grew up?
SC: Growing up I always had a dream to move to LA and follow my passion of being in front of the camera. I have been dancing since I was 2. I would travel all over the US and dance with the likes of Brian Friedman, Brooke Lipton, Mia Michaels, Wade Robson.. the list goes on. I continued to dance all the way up until after college and moving to LA. I had been acting since I was about 10. So acting and dancing was my life. 


BC: How did you make the decision to attend ASU and what did you study?
SC: I decided to go to ASU because it was close to home, but still far enough away to still be on my own . A friend from high school and I  decided to go together. We always had the same dream in high school. GET TO LA. The only thing is our parents were insisting on was that we finish school. So, we applied and got in and we were off to be college students together in an apartment in Tempe, AZ. 
I studied Biology.
BC: Quite a stretch  from acting and dancing!
SC: Yes...I started by being pre-vet and then changed my major toward the end to just pre-health. I thought this would give me the best fall back in case any thing ever happened.
BC: Smart and makes sense...
SC: I  would go to USC every summer and take classes there while pursuing my dream of being on camera broadcasting. I would take acting and on-camera classes every summer while living in LA and taking Summer school. I was in music videos for Avril Lavigne, the USED, Paulina Rubio etc. 

Sande with friends when she was as an LA Kings Ice Girl!

BC: Tell me about being an LA Kings Ice Girl and what that involved...
SC: Being an LA Kings Ice girl was an incredible experience. Some of my closest friends have come through it. Being an ice girl you are a face for the la kings. you represent the la kings brand. You are an ambassador. We would have practices for on ice drills and of course we would work on our skating. we had a skating coach.. Former LA KINGS player and best known for his role in the MIRACLE ON MANCHESTER, Daryl Evans.
BC: Awesome! What was he like?
SC: Daryl is by far the sweetest most caring coach I have ever encountered. He really cares about the girls and wants to see them do their best and be their best. I feel so blessed having had the opportunity to work with him. On game days there is two different rolls.. On the ice or in the bowl. On the ice girls are responsible for clearing the snow on the ice or the NHL will fine the team. A lot of people don't know that. They think its just a way for teams to have girls in cute uniforms. WELL, guess what... NOPE. ( both laugh)
The skating on the ice to clean the snow is imperative to play and safety of the players and refs. So, yes we look cute doing it, but it's a real job.
BC: How was it being in the bowl?
SC: In the bowl, it is all about the fans! As it should be! That was always my favorite part! Getting to dance and interact with the fans inside Staples center. I couldn't have asked for any thing more. It would make my night. I remember the last game I EVER worked. It was a playoff game and things weren't going our way, but dang it I was going to wave that flag with passion and pride. I had a blast. I danced I loved every minute of it. My eyes would tear up when we scored and nothing could stop me from cheering.
BC: Are there any special memories that you have from during your time as a LA Kings Ice Girl?
SC: Yes...One time after a game I felt a tug on my arm. I turned around and it was a lady and she said, and I will never forget it, " it's so refreshing to see some one love their job so much. You can tell you really love it and are so passionate about it" I had to hold back tears!! People could see how much I loved it and I hope that made them love the game and experience more! 




BC: So career wise where do you ultimately see yourself?
SC: I currently work for the MLB Network on the show called Intentional Talk with Chris Rose. I am his PA.I have been so fortunate to be able to travel and work the World Series and the World Baseball Classic. I am so thankful for those opportunities and all the amazing people I have met. For ESPN I have been involved with their Xgames as a manager, the ESPYS, Monday night Baseball, and College football.
BC: It sounds like you have a real passion for your job and amazing opportunities!
SC: I love it all, but ultimately I will be on air talent, sideline reporter, host. I like to learn every thing I can behind the scenes. I think having an appreciation for what goes on behind the camera will make me a better reporter. I want to be the best, the most well rounded host I can be. 




Sande excited for The ESPYS!

BC: So Speaking of passion...what is it that you are most passionate about?
SC: I am so passionate about my goal of being a reporter/ sports broadcaster. I live and breathe it. I love every aspect of it. I love sports. I love working in sports. I love knowing stats, I love watching live sports or sports from home. From the minute I wake up to the minute I go to bed my day is consumed by sports reading, watching, writing and learning. I love it.
BC: You are blessed that you are getting to do what you love most!
SC: I know and I am very fortunate to be on this path in my field! I love, love, love my job on Intentional Talk! I get to sit and listen to one of the best hosts in the business, Chris Rose, talk about sports! I am watching and learning! Hosting and sports. I love my job. I am so, so, so thankful for it. I practice my hosting and to be honest I haven't listened to the radio in almost three months. I use my time in the car in LA traffic to work on my hosting and practice. I love it and i want to use every second of every day.


Sande's joy over baseball is apparent lol! 

BC: What is it that you are working on currently?
SC: I have a bunch of new things coming up.. March was the busiest month from me. I wasn't home for a month.
BC: I know ( both laugh) It was hard just to connect for our interview!
SC: ( laughing) Yes! I was traveling for the World Baseball Classic and then was in Bristol the home of ESPN. Now, I am back in LA and starting to get settled. I will be taking over the Angels minor league baseball team, the Inland Empire 66ers, social media on Sundays. Being a SOCIAL MEDIA REPORTER is one of my goals so I am really excited about this.
BC: Congrats!
SC: Thank you!


BC: So regarding your career choice and the content your covering which was traditionally viewed as a
 " boys club" do you think that there is there a stigma attached to being a female host when it comes to covering sports?
SC: I used to think yes, but we are seeing more and more girl sports reporters. I do think for a girl you do have to study harder and work harder to show you know your stuff and you don't want to just be on TV. You have to love it and it come across. Guys its a little easier for them since they were born studying sports stats.. girls were born to remember what they wore when. So, I do think girls are taking more serious now a days just takes a little more work. Which I love and am all up for!


BC: How do you feel about other female sportscasters/hosts do you see them as competition?
SC: No, I don't see them as competition. I like to learn from them. I take what I don't like and what I do like and try to apply it to my own special brand and personality for me.

Sande likes to incorporate fun in between working! 


BC: What is your favorite sport ?
SC:  I am a huge baseball and hockey fan. Growing up these were the sports my brothers played so I think that's why they stuck with me. I love football, I love soccer. I love golf. I really like it all. 


BC: So you seem very athletic...did you play sports growing up?
SC: Growing up I was always very athletic with dance, track and volleyball. It has carried in to my adult life because I am so used to being active. I love to work out! I run on the beach or do hot yoga. I can't get enough. I like supplements a lot. I am obsessed with the pro 5 PROTEIN powder. I put it in every thing. 

Sande and Heather Marianna at Chanel

BC: Tell me about your friendship with Heather Marianna creator of Beauty Kitchen ( who introduced us ) and how you met? 
SC: Heather is one of my closest and dearest friends. We met at the same on- camera/hosting school Become A Host. Become A Host is a one stop shop for all hosts where we get to learn from the
"Queen Of Hosting" herself, Marki Costello.
BC: Yes I have heard Marki is one of the best!
SC: She is THE best!  Marki is my LA MOM!  I worked for her for a year while trying to take in all I could under her wing. In that time, I was able to meet Heather. Heather and I clicked right away. I am so happy and proud to call her a friend.
BC: Sweet!

Here is the site for people to check out Become A Host and info on Marki Costello:
http://www.becomeahost.com


BC: Now a round of fun questions that I want to know the answers too...
SC: ( laughs) Should I be worried?
BC: ( laughing) No I will go easy I promise!...What is your horoscope?
BC: Aries

BC: Are you single or seeing anyone?
SC: I thought you said you were going to go easy? ( laughs) Lets say I like to stay focused on my career ( both laugh) 


BC: What would you consider a perfect day off for you?
SC: I really don't like to take any days off until I am at my goal. So, every day to me even if it is an "off" day from work is still a work day. I read and watch all the sports my brain can take. I live at the beach so on a break I like to go for a beach run, swim or lay out. I love being outside. Riding bikes, hiking. I love to stay active. I love doing new things too. I am always up for any thing. 

Sande and Cali! So Cute!

BC: Do you have any pets?
SC: An English Bulldog named Cali short for California because I always wanted to go there!
BC: So cute!


BC: Please tell me about the charities that you are involved with...
SC: There are two right now. One is Make my Day Mondays #MMDM. This is the first twitter based charity started by sports agent Scott Norton. It's about going the extra mile for those around you whether its buying the coffee for the person behind you in line at Starbucks or helping out at at shelter on Mondays.
BC: Like Paying It Forward?
SC: Exactly! Nothing is too big or too small. Many athletes have been getting involved and spreading the word through twitter. The idea is to one day it become make my day every day. There have been events all over to raise money and give to foundations and charities. LA event is coming soon.

Check it out here:  http://www.makemydaymondays.com

BC: And the other?
SC: The other one is Be the Match: They are greatly involved in the community and especially the sports community. They are a registry for those patience with leukemia and other life threatening diseases can get marrow or cord blood transplants. The LA Kings and the LA Dodgers hold drives at games for people to sign up and hopefully one day will find a match and help some one in need:) 


Sande Charles Photo Credit Six6One.com


BC: Describe your fashion sense/style...
SC: I really like to be comfortable. I am obsessed with shopping and the latest trends, but within reason of price and style. I don't think I am too extreme with any thing I wear. My favorites places to shop are Nordstrom and LF Manhattan beach. I love Jeffrey Cambell shoes. I can't live without mine. I don't have a particular style. If I like some thing I like it. It can be hipster, bohemian, modern or even business casual. I love it all, but I pretty much live in work out clothes. I love Lululemon. I'm obsessed with it!

BC: Thank you for talking with me and letting my readers get a glimpse into your life! You are very interesting and I am exciting to watch things happen for you as they unfold...
SC: Thank you and I am glad that we finally had the chance to do this as I was looking forward to it!
BC: Thank you!

Sande Charles is scoring all the right points and is on the fast track to make her dreams a reality in this super competitive playing field! Sande has the energy, talent, and drive to make her way past any of her "opponents" and emerge the victor! I, for one, am excited to watch her as she slays the competition and That's The Way I See It Xx Billy Charles

   
           Follow Sande Charles on Twitter @SandeCharles 
           and get the latest on her web site :

                   www.SandeCharles.com

1 comment:

  1. Good old boys club is gone !!! Now it's the better new women's club !!!!!!!! And to billy >>>>>>another FUN interview !!!!!!! Xox terry tlcville

    ReplyDelete