Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Penny Drossos Karagiorgis...A Cut Above The Rest !

The Fabulous Penny Drossos Karagiorgis



I had the pleasure of meeting Penny Drossos Karagiorgis on Twitter last year before all the hype of The Real Housewives Of New Jersey Season 4 finale on Bravo TV. In getting to know her ,  I found her to be fun, down to earth,  someone that will speak her mind and stand by whatever she says. 
Her salon, Le Chateau Allure, was the location where  Bravo TV  filmed  the infamous " set up" scene of Melissa Gorga by Kim D. 



Kim DePaola, Teresa Giudice, and Penny Drossos Karagiorgis Season 4 RHONJ

She also happens to be  a friend of Kim DePaola  ( who will be a regular on Season 5 RHONJ ) and has styled Kim D as well as The Posche Boutique fashion show which aired during season 4 of RHONJ. This season we will see the return of Penny as " friend of the Housewives" on season 5 of The Real Housewives of New Jersey. I recently touched based with Penny and let her know that many people  have been wanting to know about her and so we decided to do an interview for my site! 

BC: First off thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to chat with me I really appreciate it! 
PDK: No problem! I'm happy we finally have the opportunity!
BC: I know!  We were supposed to do this awhile ago but our lives got in the way  ( both laugh) 

BC: So lets get down to business...tell be about your upbringing
PDK: I grew up in Astoria, Queens. I was raised in a typical Greek family. My father owned a restaurant while my mother was as a stay-at-home parent. Her primary occupation was taking care of my brother and I. My brother, who is four-years younger than me, and I attended private Greek-American schools.


Penny, her sister -in-law, and her baby brother Sammy D

BC: Are you %100 Greek?
PDK: I am one-hundred percent Greek which includes the conventional big family. We are big, loud and argue – yet I wouldn’t change a thing about any of us.
BC: Being %100 Italian... I can definitely relate! ( both laugh)

BC: I am big into astrology and always ask everyone that I interview what sign they are...
PDK: My birthday is June 22th 1974...So I’m a full-on Cancer!
BC: I knew we got along for a reason! I have a few very good friends that are Cancers! Virgos and Cancers are a good match.
PDK: I know I also get along great with Virgos! ( laughs)

BC: You have a very long and successful career in the beauty industry ...tell me was this always your passion?
PDK: Yes! By the age of ten every one of my friends had a hair cut by me and all of my dolls were bald – so that pretty much speaks for itself. ( we both laugh)  I was obviously obsessed with hair from an early-age so I think the creative aspect really drew me in, and being able to make people feel better about themselves by recreating thereimage, made me feel especially good.
BC: I know you have worked with an array of clients, including some " showbiz folk" , drop me some names (both laugh)
PDK: Lets see...Regis Philbin, Steven Seagal, Zach McGowen, Joyce DeWitt, Martin Kove,   Michael Pare, Cindy Vero, Teresa Giudice, and Love Majewski
BC: Quite impressive! No wonder why they look so Fab!
PDK: Aw thanks!


Penny and her former students


BC: Tell me about the two boys in the above picture...I found it to be very touching when I heard the story.
PDK: Yes... The two boys pictured are  former students of mine when I worked as a special education teacher at SBJC in Maywood (Bergen County) NJ. The two boys are autistic and a portion of their curriculum incorporated lessons dealing withlife skills. Since the parents had always cut the boys’ hair at home I thought it would be interesting to “test out” the salon facet inside the classroom. Ever since the age of eight, the boys won’t get there hair cut by anyone else.
BC: That's so awesome! You rock!
PDK: Thank you! Yes... it's very fulfilling when you can use your craft to help another when possible.
BC: I agree!

BC: As you know I have been doing The Hurricane Sandy Project with several familiar faces and have appreciated your support...being in New Jersey and so close to all the devastation how were you affected?
Penny's children Maria and Nicholas lending a hand for Hurricane Sandy

Penny's hubby John Karagiorgis helping with Hurricane Sandy Relief

PDK: Your welcome and it's for a great cause! I was not directly affected by Hurricane Sandy but I know many who were, both minimally and intensivelyI volunteered for the food and clothing distribution center in Little Ferry at the Little Ferry Baseball field for many days following the tragedy. I also let friends who were without power stay at my home until power came back
BC:: That's what I love about you...you are so down to earth and giving! 
PDK: I am blessed to be  raised to always help how and whenever I can
BC: Back before Christmas I was invited to New Jersey to an event for Hurricane Sandy  relief thrown by Elvira Grau and Season 5 Housewife Jennifer Dalton but wasn't able to attend due to scheduling conflict...were you able to attend?
PDK: While  I would have loved to attend the event Elvira and Jennifer put on, the work I had been doing for Hurricane Sandy conflicted with the timing of their event.
BC: There are always events so I am sure we will meet up...which brings me to the next question ( both laugh) Tell me about the type events you usually go to...




Penny with Love Majewski from VH1 MobWives 


PDK: The events that I attend are usually charity affairs,  in particular those that deal with cancer, kidney disease and special needs children. My father passed away from cancer while my mother suffered from kidney disease and breast cancer. Likewise, I worked as a special education teacher for years before I opened up my own business. Therefore, I feel that it is integral for me to do as much as possible, to the best of my ability, to help work towards a cure.
BC: I am sorry to hear that about your family... you are very strong woman and we are lucky that you are so 
motivated to find a cure and make the world a better place!
PDK: Thank you for saying, so sweet.

BC: Now on to lighter affairs ( both laugh)...we have to introduce another " character" here! Your hilarious and infamous husband John Karagiorgis!
PDK: ( laughing) I knew it was coming sooner or later!...John and I have been married for thirteen years.
BC: Congrats! As you know Scott and I have been together 12! We are both blessed!



Penny and her husband Johnny at an event

PDK: Yes very!...We wed on October 24th 1999 (because I thought the world was ending in 2000 ( both crack up). 
BC: How did you meet eachother?
PDK: I met John at Club Abyss in Sayerville during Greek Night. 
BC: Just like a movie!
PDK: ( laughs)Yes!...After him pursuing me for months I finally caved in and decided to go out with him.
BC: What was it about John that made you give in?
PDK: It was John’s personality which attracted me to him the most. 
BC: I think your hubby is a great guy and he definitely has captured every ones attention in the media!
PDK: Don't remind me ( laughs)...we should all get together for drinks soon!
BC: I agree!
PDK: I will apologize for him ahead of time ( both laugh)
BC:  It's a deal! In my opinion, Johnny  knows what life is  about...having a good time! He does everything with a sense of humor and he knows what to take seriously and what not to!
BC: So tell me about your kids and your life away from the spotlight...

Proud Dad Johnny with son Nicholas at a Giants game

PDK: My son Nicholas is twelve and my daughter Maria is nine. As for my life at home, my children are my life. No matter what is going on I will drop what I am doing if my children need me. They are my full-time job before my job...and no ... they do not go to Greek school ( laughs) 


Penny behind the scenes at a photo shoot ! 


BC: I always see you photos of you at events and you always look put together, what is your fashion style?
PDK: My fashion motto is: If I like how it looks and if it looks good on me... I’m wearing it!
My wardrobe features everything from high-end designer labels to everyday department store brands.
BC: That's what true style is about...mixing it up!
PDK: Amen!

BC: There are so many rumors swirling around about your business Le Chateau Allure Salon put them to rest now...whats going on?
PDK: I am in the process of relocating and renovating my business. Le Chateau Allure is a full-service European salon and medi-spa. Beyond all hair services I offer everything from weight-loss plans to botox provided by an M.D. The opening may even be documented for television.
BC: Awesome! I can't wait!
PDK: I can't either...it's exciting!

BC: I feel very comfortable with you and I know you believe in equality...where do you stand on Gay Marriage?
PDK: I feel that everybody has a right to love who they choose. I do not think the government should be able to dictate who can marry who and under what pretenses they can do so. There is no reason for gay people to have lived in hiding for so long.
BC: I wish more people felt like you!
PDK: Times are changing and in the future hopefully it will be a non issue!
BC: I Agree!

BC: There are so many things in the media about who you are but in your words tell me who you are
PDK: I really like to think of myself as a down-to-earth person. I know that I am far from perfect. I do make mistakes but I take ownership of everything I say or do. I am confrontational when need be and do not like people who intimidate others. I am very loyal to my friends and will hold his or her hand through hell and back. However, once I cut you out of my life, you are done for good.
BC: As a true Cancer would!
PDK: Yes ( laughs)...I am just a care-free person who likes to go out and have fun. I have even come across my followers from Twitter at various events andactually had a drink with them. I’m just as “normal” as you. 


Dina Manzo, Priscilla DiStasio, and Penny Drossos Karagiorgis

BC: What can you tell readers about season 5 of The Real Housewives of New Jersey?
PDK: As much as I want to have word-vomit right now and tell you everything…I signed something which is pretty much a “gag” order. All I can say is it will be different from last season in ways your readers may find both positive and negative – as with everything.
BC: Everyone is looking forward to the new season and I now they will be looking out for you too!
PDK: You never know where or when I will turn up! ( both laugh)




Girls just want to have fun!


BC: Well thank you for chatting with me and I hope readers can get a better feel for the real Penny that I am getting to know and love!
PDK: Thank you and it was great talking to you  and I will be looking forward to having those drinks soon!
BC: Me Too! Filakia!( kisses in Greek)
PDK: Filakia! ( laughs)

There you have it! I am glad that I could bring you some facts about  Penny Drossos Karagiorgis straight from the source... her!
Penny  is a mother, a wife, a hard worker, someone who enjoys life and gives back when she can! I am sure you will be seeing and hearing a lot more from her coming up and she is the kind of person who makes the world a better place and that's the way I see it Xx Billy Charles

Follow Penny Drossos Karagiorgis  on Twitter @PDKhair
If you enjoy a  good laugh follow her hubby John Karagiorgis on Twitter @JohnnyTheGrk... don't worry he won't bite, unless you want him too! :) lol 

9 comments:

  1. EXCELLENT interview as usual billy wooly bear !!!! Xox. And a shout out to penny. Mama snookums !!!!! Muah muah. Terry @tlcville

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to seeing Penny on RHONJ . I worked with Special needs people for over 20 yrs. What a good heart she has! Another Great interview Billy! Looking forward to many more! J~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this interview as I love all you write :-) she seems so down to earth and big hearted I love that . Thanks for sharing xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well done ,I can't wait for season 5 of RHONJ to start in May. I'm also hoping not watching same non-sense of everybody blaming Teresa for everything bad that happens to anyelse.I have been following johnny the Greek on Twitter and loves the way he handles things...This people are from jersey they all know what's up,especially when someone like Melissa has been so hypocrite when it comes to the relationship between her and Joe GORGA,Teresa and her in laws.It's time for the truth to come to the light ..Melissa should be worry because there's a bulldog that can bite!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed reading the interview, well written as always and can't wait for season 5 of RHONJ! Penny is going to be breathe of fresh air on the show and she is so down to earth!

    Thanks Billy Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview my friend... looking forward to getting to know more about Penny in the future ;-) Good gal ..
    Gianni862/Johnny

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice Article! Thanks for sharing with us.

    Roofers Hamilton

    ReplyDelete
  8. This couple was so desperate to be on the show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The difference between penny-johnny and Joe-Melissa couple is that Melissa came on to where nobody call her ..to interefere with Tres bread but Penny and John are coming to the show to say the truth that everybody who lives in NJ already knows.Melissa should stop calling malicious rumors and just drop hherself from the show.Even Daniel is on Tres side because she knows Melissa has cheated and Joe is a cry baby in a body of a men.

      Delete