Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Serving Up Spicy Dish With Real Housewife Of Miami Ana Quincoces!

The Beautiful Ana Quincoces



This past season  of  The Real Housewives of Miami on Bravo TV  brought us many twists and turns, laughter and tears,  as well as the addition of some new cast members...one of which was Ana Quincoces. Ana Quincoces  is a lawyer, chef, author , mother, and all around fabulous woman! I was immediately smitten by Ana's feisty yet down to earth attitude. I tweeted Ana back in October after I saw some photos of some delicious caramel apples that she was making and the rest , as they say, is history. In the following interview Ana opens up about The Real Housewives of Miami, her history , and her life...



BC: Tell me about where you grew up...
AQ: I was born and raised in Miami, Fl.
BC: What was your childhood like?
AQ: My parents emigrated from Cuba in 1960 and settled in Miami where I was born several years later. My childhood was pretty typical of a first generation Cuban American. My parents worked very hard and took many odd jobs to make ends meet. My childhood was not Norman Rockwell by any means but it was idyllic by Cuban immigrant standards.
BC: When you were growing up what did you aspire to be?
AQ: Well I can tell you from  the time I was 9 years old I knew that I would be a lawyer! I was obsessed with the show Hill Street Blues and thought that someday I would be just like the DA played by Veronica Hamel!
BC: Maybe you can play her part  if they ever make it into a movie ( both laugh)




BC: I know that you had  a very successful career happening prior to RHOM which includes being a lawyer, chef,  as well as best selling  author of  the cookbooks  Cuban Chicks Can Cook and  Sabor! A Passion for Cuban Cuisine...  for the readers  who will be just " meeting you " for the first time on my site please tell us how you came to be on RHOM on Bravo TV

AQ: Well lets see...I have had a successful career as a lawyer for two decades before RHOM. The books happened quite by accident.  They were borne of my passion for cooking and as a way to leave a lasting legacy for my girls. As a result of the success of the books, I began doing regular cooking segments on television. That led to a guest appearance on Season 1 of RHOM which coupled with my existing friendships with the other cast members led to my being cast.


BC: The experience of being on reality television has to differ vastly from what you are used to doing  as editing comes into play and reality is no longer reality when the show airs...in your opinion did we get a real feel for who you are? if not what would you like people to know about you that we didn't get to see on The Real Housewives of Miami?


AQ: I was surprised to see how organic the process of filming a reality TV show is. I believe that for the most part what the viewers saw is who I truly am- although the view was perhaps more of a glimpse.  There were a lot of ladies on the show which made each of our story lines a little narrow. There is a lot more about me that the viewers have not yet seen. That's the beauty of being multi-faceted  ( both laugh)

BC: Your passion for cooking has garnered you much attention and success...you were even named
" Miami's Hottest Chef " ...when did you develop this passion for cooking and what is your absolute favorite thing that you like to make?




Ana doing one of the things she does best...cooking! 


AQ: My passion for cooking started at a very young age. My mother is an excellent cook and I witnessed how her passion for cooking brought our family and friends together. I loved how my childhood home was always the venue for all the family gatherings and how the controlled chaos in the kitchen, the sound of clattering plates, and smell of home cooking contributed to the ambiance. I wanted to have that feeling in my own home. I can't identify one specific dish as my favorite to cook but anything that takes a little time is something I enjoy tremendously particularly because cooking relaxes me so.

BC: It is so refreshing how open you are ...so , if I may...regarding your personal life ...you came on to RHOM at a time that most people would not have ( with publicly going through divorce) what was that experience like to watch back as it is hard enough to go through in real life?

AQ: It was a heart wrenching experience as you can imagine. Filming it didn't make it more so because more often than not I was unaware that the camera was even there. Reliving it months later was particularly painful.

BC:  Personally  I feel like  the silver lining was that it allowed the viewers to see  that although sometimes things do not work out as planned in a relationship both parties can  still  be amicable for the greater good of all involved... after all we choose our partners and loved them at one point in time  ..still it's always sad when that doesn't work out.

AQ: Very true... I have received hundreds of emails from newly divorced men and women seeking advice and commending  us for doing divorce right. I'm not sure divorce is ever right but the fact that we did it in the most humane way possible and committed to making sure our daughters were not the rope in a tug of war between us is something we are all very proud of. 


Ana's beautiful daughters


BC:  As you should be! You also had your beautiful daughters as part of the show do you regret that in any way?

AQ: I have no regrets about that. My daughters are the most extraordinary young women I know.  They are smart and industrious. Great daughters, granddaughters, siblings, friends, and students. They are strong and compassionate and I am certain the universe is a better place because they are in it. 
BC: That is very sweet and I love it when families get along and are close!
AQ: Yes I am blessed!

Proud Momma!


BC: After  The Real Housewives of Miami Reunion show aired  the feeling in  social media about you  was that you came out " guns blazing " ...did you suffer a backlash from viewers as a result?




RHOM Ana Quincoces, Marysol Patton, and Alexia  Echevarria


AQ: That is a very tricky question to answer. Suffice it to say that I did not actually come out "guns blazing". I will always defend myself when the situation requires it. And the situation (because of editing and the limits placed upon the editors) did not air exactly as it occurred but it most definitely required it. The reunion was more than 10 hours long and there is A LOT that the viewers did not see. Fortunately, the backlash was limited to one or two women (from Texas) who repeatedly accused me of being an ageist. I usually don't dignify silly accusations with a response and because the sources were so specific and suspect, it seemed pointless. I will say this, fighting is never fair. The spoils usually go to the honest and quick witted. I did not have to resort to a tired old Gordon Gecko line ("if you keep spreading lies about me, I will start telling the truth about you") to garner oohs and ahhs. It was clear that Lea was shaken to the core. And it had little to do with any digs about her age. It was deeper than that and much more serious. The age comments were spread out over the 10 hour period and the motivation for them had almost nothing to do with the fact that she is the oldest housewife in the franchise. It had to do with the fact that her flimsy house of cards was built upon this cosmetic line that she credits for her line free sexagenarian skin. She did not admit to the face lifts or even botox or fillers and even refused to divulge her real age when Andy asked during the reunion (that part did not air either). The "digs" were meant to hit her where it hurts and to divulge yet another aspect of Lea that lacks veracity. I believe I had enough "credit in the bank" with the viewers from the 15 episodes before the reunion. For the most part, the consensus was that whatever I did was justified because gratuitous attacks are inconsistent with the person the viewers had come to know throughout the season.

BC: What can you tell us about  ( you prob get this all the time) about what was in the folder concerning
 Lea Black?  I was disappointed that editing chopped that up.

The RHOM Reunion Alexia, Ana, Marysol , and Adrianna

AQ: The network and producers had their reasons for not airing the contents of my folder. I cannot comment on whether extraordinary measures were taken by Lea and her husband to keep viewers from seeing them. I have been contacted by national media to "hand over" this now infamous file. I have chosen not to do so for now. The contents of my file are all records that can be easily attained by anyone who knows where to look as they are all public documents. I would never jeopardize some one's career or ask that they share privileged information about another person or entity.


BC: Will you return to Real Housewives of Miami to  film another season?

AQ: I hate to give you the canned response but as far as I know, no decision on season 3 has been made. Given the projects I am working on, the timing of all things would have to coincide in a manner that would make filming another season beneficial for both me and the franchise.

BC: What projects can you discuss with my readers that are in the works?

AQ: I am working on the final edits of The Versailles Restaurant Cookbook. It is the most iconic Cuban restaurant in the world and I am very proud to be part of that project. Book number 4 is also in development and I will begin recipe testing for it soon.
BC: Ooh sign me up! ( both laugh)
AQ: My Million Dollar Marinade should be hitting the shelves in the next couple of weeks followed by my spice line.
BC: You are one busy gal!
AQ: Yes and I am grateful for all the opportunities... I  also have  an espresso maker in development which should be ready by April 1st and will be the perfect complement to Mama Elsa's Havana Elsa coffee.
BC: I love Mam Elsa and her coffee!
AQ:  Yes she is wonderful!
BC: I heard that you may be opening a restaurant...
AQ: We shall see! I am talking to several investors about opening a restaurant in the Design District /Wynwood area or in the alternative a pop up restaurant with another celebrity chef. Meanwhile...
I will also be participating in several SOBE Food and Wine Festival events at the end of February. Sobefest.com   
BC: You are going to need a vacation after all that! ( both laugh) If you had a dream vacation or a good few days off where would you be and what would you be doing?





AQ:I have been fortunate enough to travel extensively and visit some pretty amazing places. Kenya was a surreal experience and I can hardly wait to return.  But perhaps the place I would most like to spend a short vacation is Big Sur.  I was there on a very special trip last year and just thinking about it brings a smile to my face.

BC: Final thought...In my opinion you are a great role model for women...smart, sexy, strong , and successful...what message would you like women who look up to you ( and there are many) to receive?

AQ: Thank you Billy! I feel blessed that so many women see me as a role model. Perhaps it is because I am not perfect nor do I pretend to be. I  have always been willing to share my struggles as well as my triumphs with them. I would love to tell them that it is never too late to try something new, to pursue a dream, to reinvent yourself. That confidence is a work in progress and that it is only through both success and failure that it is built and strengthened. I would tell them that enjoying the journey (while cliche) is so very important and that the unknown while scary can also be very exciting.
BC: I agree! Thank you so much for allowing me to get to know you better!
AQ: Thank you for sharing my story with your readers!
BC: The pleasure was all mine!


As you can see Ana is very straightforward and candid on who she is and what she feels! I hope you all enjoyed getting to know her as much as I did. Ana is successful because she is a hardworking woman who lives her  life to the fullest and makes her passions and dreams work for her! She is serving up " Spicy Cuban" realness making us want to come back for more and more ... and that's the way I see it !
Xx Billy Charles

Follow Ana Quincoces on Twitter @AnaQooks and visit her web site to find the latest news about her and her life :

http://www.anaquincoces.com/?limitstart=4

6 comments:

  1. I like Ana.. was not a fan of the Miami franchise but loved when Ana joined and kept it real with that loudmouth Lea.. ;-) .. Thanks for the article B
    Johnny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great interview. I wish the reunion had been more linear so we could see what transpired with Lea. It makes more sense when she's pointing out the hypocrisy of Lea claiming she's never had work done, so that she can sell her skincare line. Ana is a very strong woman and I hope she is included in the show next season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ana is my fav RHOM great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great interview !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROCK ON BILLY. Xox. Terry @tlcville

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love her. She is an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is the only one i like on #RHOM Thanks for this ;-)
    Johnny

    ReplyDelete