Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

Raquel Castro: The Girl Behind " The Voice "

Actress, Singer, and Dancer... Raquel Castro


Raquel Castro was in show business a  long time  before she  first came to everyone's attention and captured our heart's on screen  ( at only seven years old ) in the hit movie Jersey Girl starring Ben Affleck, Jennifer Lopez, and Liv Tyler . We watched her in many movies and projects since then but it was her  ( smart)  grown up decision to share her musical talents on NBC's Singing competition  " The Voice"  that had us pleasantly surprised,  continued to keep our  attention,  and leaves us wondering what is next for this tiny powerhouse?
 I talked to Raquel recently as  I wanted to know what else she has up her beautiful and talented  sleeve...find out below  what she had to say!


BC: What is your nationality and where did you grow up?
RC: I'm Puerto Rican and Italian and I grew up in Long Island New York!
BC: One of my favorite cities!
RC: Mine too! Growing up there was such a learning experience!

BC: I understand you started acting at age four...what was it like  growing up " in the business"?
RC: I was always entertaining people when I was a child .. I ran around in circles every time my mom had the camera on me! I started acting when I was 4, and landed my first lead role when I was 7 in "Jersey Girl". It was an amazing experience and I was so blessed to work with such an amazing cast. It definitely had its ups and downs though..
BC: Such as?
RC :Dealing with all of the attention at such a young age and then having it all go away was very rough, and hard to understand. I love what I do though, and I believe going through the ups and downs in this industry,  my whole life, made me who I am today.

BC: Would you say that your role in Jersey Girl has been one of your favorite acting opportunities, and if so, why?
RC: Jersey Girl changed my life. So, I have to say that was my favorite opportunity! It was a huge platform and I got to work with amazing people. 
BC:  Yes! Jersey Girl was a great movie and starred major Hollywood actors...Ben Affleck, Liv Tyler, and Jennifer Lopez...what was it like working with them?
Raquel Castro on the set of " Jersey Girl" with A list Actor and Director Ben Affleck


A young Raquel doing press on the red carpet!


RC: I had so much fun working with them. I got really close to Liv and Ben. They were like big kids! They made me feel so comfortable. I hope to work with them again in the future! Jennifer Lopez was one of my biggest inspirations as a child so getting to play her daughter was incredible. Also getting to work with the legendary George Carlin was awesome. He was a sweetheart. 

BC: Would you consider Jersey Girl  your " break out role" ?
RC: Yes and no. Yes, because it was my first lead role, and I was given the opportunity to travel around the world to do publicity for the film which was amazing. But, at the same time no, because I was so young. I feel like I haven't had my breakout role yet. I feel like I have so much more to show the world now as an 18 year old. 
BC: So does that mean that  you will continue to pursue acting in the future? 
RC: Yes...I took a break from acting for a little bit to focus more on my music. After graduating high school, It really hit me that I'm stepping into the real world now. I'm focusing on both my music and acting, and I'm 100% dedicated to both. This is all I know, and this is all I can ever picture myself doing. I will keep working my butt off until I get where I want to be!





 BC:  Speaking of working your butt off ( both laugh)... tell me how and why you decided to audition for NBC's  reality singing competition " The Voice"  starring Christina Aguilera  , Blake Shelton, Adam Levine , and Ce Lo Green...
RC:At first I wasn't going to do the Voice. I wasn't a fan of the whole reality TV shows idea.  However, once my mom told me more about the show, it really made me want to audition. I liked the fact that it was different and positive. It focused on what really matters "The Voice". 
BC: You were picked,  and then as if that wasn't enough, you were lucky to have  Christina Aguilera  end up mentoring you! What was that like and what advice has she given you that you have taken? 
RC: Very lucky! I loved having Christina as my coach .. I always looked up to her as a vocalist. She's amazing! She really taught me things more on a personal level from her own experiences. She taught me how people will always try and say negative things to bring you down. You just have to stay true to yourself and not let the negativity effect you. 






BC: Great advice, especially in this industry...you've since  had the opportunity to cover Christina Aguilera's  song " Aint No Other Man" what did she think about that? 
RC: ( laughs) Yes that is like my go to song to sing for people! I love the power in her voice in that song. I'm not quite sure what she thought about it I did it after the show. I would hope she liked it!
BC: What's not to love? ( both laugh)  Did you find that during your time on " The Voice" that being so young was an advantage or disadvantage? 
RC:Both, I feel like being younger helped me connect with the younger crowd, but at the same time being so young on that kind of competition made it really intimidating because I was "competing" against people who had way more experience then I did. I learned a lot though, so I wouldn't change a thing !
BC: Your singing career is really taking off! ...tell me about " Game Over" the song you just co wrote and released...


Raquel doing her thing!


RC: I wrote "Game Over" with a writer in Miami at a program called IDA. I wrote it based on my own experience from a relationship I was in. It's about being in a relationship with someone who you love, but you feel like they're playing games with your heart. It shows the struggles of not knowing whether to stay in the relationship or not. It's like, you wanna stay because you love and care about that person, but you want to leave because they continuously hurt you or make you feel like you're not important. 
BC: We are definitely starting to see you blossom into a young adult! Is there an album in the works?
RC: Yes there is an album in the works! I'm in the middle of working with these producers and really finding a sound with them. I've also been writing A LOT so stay tuned :)




Celebrity make-up artist and friend of Raquel Castro Priscilla Di Stasio


BC: Of course! How do you like expressing yourself in music and how does that differ from acting?
RC:Music is like therapy to me. It's hard for me to show emotion, so I love being able to get my thoughts and emotions out through my music. I really love to make music that people can relate to because I know it makes my day when I hear a song and say "oh my god I've felt that before", or "that's exactly how I'm feeling". It's like a shoulder to lean on, but it's music. It definitely differs from acting. In acting you're putting your own experiences into a situation to be someone else. Music is just writing your heart out on a piece of paper and saying this is me and this is how I feel. I love doing both .

BC: Which actors ( or singers) do you look up to or admire?
RC:Beyonce is one of my biggest inspirations. I hope to be as respected and talented and successful as her one day. Christina is a big inspiration as well vocally. I also really love Katy Perry as an artist.  Rachel McAdams is my favorite actress. And I'm also loving Jennifer Lawrence! She's awesome!

BC: Who would you like to meet someday if you could? 
RC:I'd love to meet Jennifer Lawrence, because she's so real and I'm a big fan of real people who don't put on some act to be someone they're not. I'd also love to meet Demi Lovato. After seeing an interview of her sticking up for Miley Cyrus, she seems pretty real as well. Also, Justin Bieber is a big inspiration and I'd love to meet him. Anytime I'm feeling down or frustrated I just watch his movie and it just reminds me to keep striving for what I want! 

BC: What advice would you give to the many young girls that are looking up to you as inspiration? 
RC: I have so much to say whether it's about relationships, making mistakes, feeling like you're not good enough or just life in general. I want to be like a big sister to my fans and show them that no one is perfect. 
BC: How do you balance work, school, and play?
RC: It was hard growing up, especially dealing with school. I was bullied a lot growing up and no one really understood me or my goals. Not even just kids, teachers too! Now that I graduated from high school, it really makes it a lot easier! I like to go out and have fun every now and then but my head and focus is really on my craft. 
BC: What would you consider a fun day off? What would you be doing?
RC:  Hmm... I don't know about a fun day off ( laughs) .. but I really wanna go skydiving! I love doing things that give me an adrenaline rush! 



Sexy but Classy
These boots were made for walkin'...

Fabulous Style!

BC: You are quite the " fashionista"... How would you describe your style?
RC: Aw thanks! I'd say I am stylish, a little sexy, but not like an x rated movie ( both laugh).  I just like to have a little edge to everything I wear. I'm really digging high waisted pants/shorts and crop tops. And I'm always wearing some type of boot. 

BC; Tell me five things that you love or couldn't live without...
RC:My family, real people, music, inspiring quotes, and  being on stage!
BC: Tell me any five things that you don't really care for...
RC: Five  things I don't care for are rumors, negative people, rude people, cockiness, and liars.

BC: What is next for Raquel Castro? Where do you see yourself in the future?
RC: More new music, and hopefully I can do some more acting! I wanna be at the Grammys some day!
BC: I would love to see that for you and I thank you for sharing your life with us!
RC: Thank you for having me!


Raquel Castro is a girl of many talents and she enjoys sharing them with the world. She has an upbeat and positive energy that is both endearing and infectious. Her musical career is just beginning and I for one am excited to watch her grow and change  as an artist as I have been since she first came into our lives on the
 " Big Screen". Raquel Castro has a good head on her shoulders and with her Mom by her side supporting her as well as managing her any path she chooses will be a " win win " and That's The Way I See It !
 Xx Billy Charles



Find out more about Raquel Castro and what she is up to on her official website: www.RaquelCastro.com 
Diary (J Chris Griffin Remix) - Single, Raquel Castro

Preview and purchase Raquel Castro's song DIARY here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/diary-j-chris-griffin-remix/id522189754

Follow Raquel Castro on Twitter @RaquelCastro





2 comments:

  1. Another fabulous interview !!!!!! Xox wooly bear !!!! Xox terry @tlcville

    ReplyDelete